Thursday, October 1, 2009

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric: The first 5,000 kilometres

Click on images to enlarge

The ultra high-performance (UHP) tyres segment are dominated by established names like Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Continental ContiSportContact 3, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A being the default choices for those who have no issues with the equally ultra-premium cost of these rubber donuts. The latest entrant into the fray of UHP realm - since 2008 in Malaysia - is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric which replaces the unidirectional GSD3 for sizes 17" and upwards.

The front tyre that you see above is 225/40 R18 'Made in Germany' items fitted to my Boxster 2.7 (986) for 5,000kms now. As it got scrubbed-in beyond 1000km, I found the grip and rear squat to be more balanced. Though not Porsche's N-spec endorsed, I have no problem clipping apex of corners at triple digit velocity though some technical SC people would say that N-0, N-1 and so on spec tyres have softer sidewalls which accommodate better to Porsche's suspension tuning. I can't comment on that until I swap to the other set of Michelin PS2 I have in my garage. However, I can say this though: the Eagle F1 Asymmetric definitely gives better steering response and road feel than the PS2 on my close associate's Cayman S (987). Even he concurred to this after swapping his Porsche with mine on a road trip. For the record, scores of Porsches down south across the causeway are happily swapping to these latest Eagle F1s when their standard issued rubbers got worn out. The story with Porsche Club Malaysia (PCM) members' tyre choice may be a different tale but that's another story for another day.


So far, I am very happy with my Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. It has totally changed my perception of the Goodyear brand with old memories of the mediocre OEM NCT5's on my previous Honda Accord and Mercedes-Benz E200 Kompressor. Perhaps it's time to break to monotony of either Michelin, Conti, Bridgestone or that occassional Pirelli on the mindset of UHP tyres users when a replacement set is due? And in the process saving more than a few bucks for the now premium-than-ever RON 97 fuel...yes?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...